Monday 14 November 2011

Reading Challenge #2: 2012 Science Fiction Reader Challenge

I'm a real lover of sci-fi and though in 2011 I've read plenty of YA with elements of sci-fi, I've let my adult reading of this genre slide. So I was thrilled to find Working for the Mandroid's 2012 Science Fiction Reader Challenge, which allows me to keep reading YA and encourages me to try some adult 'hard' sci-fi, too. 



There are twelve categories to this challenge, so essentially a book for each month (although the minimum requirement of books is 6). These are the categories:

YA/MG Science Fiction title
Adult Science Fiction title
Hugo Winner
Science Fiction Classic - Pre-1950s
Science Fiction Modern Classic - 1951-1992
Steampunk
Robots/Cyborgs/Androids
Spaceships/Aliens
Time Travel/Alternate History/Parallel Universe
Apocalyptic/Dystopia/Utopia
Cyberpunk
Mad Scientists/Genetic Testing/Environmental Disaster


These are the rules:
1. The challenge begins January 1, 2012 and runs through December 31, 2012.  Books started before January 1 don't count towards the challenge.  Re-reads do count, but a new review must be written.  Any format of book counts - hard copy, audiobook, e-book.
2. A review has to be written and posted for each book in the challenge.  If you don't have a blog, they can be posted on Goodreads, LibraryThing, Amazon, Shelfari, Facebook, anywhere else book reviews are accepted and can be linked to.
3. Any books read for another challenge that fit into a category here can count towards this one.  One book, however, cannot fill multiple categories in this challenge.  For example, Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game technically fits into at least four of the categories.  It can only count for one though.
4. A post will be set up on Working for the Mandroid beginning January 1 for participants to add their review links.  
5. At the end of the year, all the people who signed up for the challenge and finished 6 of the 12 categories will be put in a contest for a not yet determined prize. Those who finish all 12 of the categories will be entered into a different,better contest.  Additional contests throughout the year might also become available depending on participation of readers and availability of prizes.  Note: The more participants, the more likely Working for the Mandroid can get some science fiction friendly sponsors, the more contests.

I think this challenge sounds like great stuff and I'm already excited about reading some Hugo winners and other sci-fi classics (maybe this is the time to finally finish Frankenstein). It's also comforting to know that probably 90% of the YA books of next year will count towards this challenge in some way. If you're interested, please sign up here. I hope more and more people sign up and make this challenge a great one!

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo I love that they put Steampunk on that list! Sounds like a fun challenge! I hope you enjoy it! Can't wait to see what you read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie - Yes, the trends in YA mean that it will be so easy to complete this challenge! Steampunk, dystopia - half the books I want to read are one or the other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited about this challenge! I have a lot of sci-fi on my shelves and on my wishlist, and sometimes I'm not sure what to pick up next. Maybe this will help me decide!

    ReplyDelete

If you visit this blog, please comment! I really do appreciate and read every one and try to answer back as much as possible.